Meet Dr. Compton
Dr. Compton completed his residency training in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck surgery at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, LA and trained with one of the most experienced rhinoplasty surgeons in the world in 2012. He then completed his American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) fellowship with Washington University School of Medicine at the prestigious Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, MO in 2013. This advanced fellowship training focused on both cosmetic and reconstructive procedures including facelift, blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) and rhinoplasty (nasal surgery).
He then started private practice in East Lansing in 2013-2015 before bringing his talent to the Detroit area. He joined Oakland ENT in mid 2015 with Dr McBrien and Dr Sobol. He is a clinical instructor at William Beaumont Hospital and Oakland University School of Medicine, educating both ENT and Oral Surgery resident physicians.
Dr. Compton is a natural artist who started developing his gift as a child and has pursued this throughout his life. He is an award winning artist, enjoying many different mediums including photography, charcoal, acrylic paints, pencil, and pointillism using pen and ink. His artistic eye and attention to detail allows him to excel in facial aesthetic and reconstructive surgery.
During medical school, Dr. Compton participated in a medical exchange program in which he lived in a small city south of Nagoya, Japan. During his 5 week stay, he trained in transplant surgery and pediatric oncology services. During this time he also visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, Kyoto, Tokyo and concluded his trip by climbing through the night to the summit of Mount Fuji to see the sunrise.
Washington University. St Louis, MO. July 2012 – June 2013.
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship at Barnes Jewish Hospital
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. Shreveport, LA. July 2007- June 2012.
Internship and Residency in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Wayne State University School of Medicine. Detroit, MI. August 2003 – June 2007.
Michigan State University. East Lansing, MI. August 1999 – May 2003
Bachelor of Science in Human Biology with High Honors
Oakland Christian School. Auburn Hills, MI. May 1999
College Preparatory Diploma with honors
Am. Board of Facial Plastic and Recon. Surgery. Certified. July 2018- 2028.
American Board of Otolaryngology. Certified. June 2013- June 2023.
MI Unrestricted Medical License Exp. January 31, 2020
MO Unrestricted Medical License Exp. January 31, 2014
LA Unrestricted Medical License Exp. March 31, 2013
William Beaumont Hospital. Royal Oak, MI. Assistant Professor. August 2015- Current.
Unasource Surgery Center. Troy, MI. Non-employed Physician. August 2015- Current.
Lakes Surgery Center. West Bloomfield, MI. Non-employed Physician. March 2018- Current.
Sparrow Hospital. Lansing, MI. Non-employed Physician. August 2013- August 2015
McLaren Regional Hospital. Lansing, MI. Non-employed Physician. August 2013- August 2015.
Hayes Green Beach Hospital. Charlotte, MI. Non-employed Physician. August 2013-August 2015.
Barnes Jewish Hospital. St Louis, MO. Faculty/ Instructor/ Clinical Fellow in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. July 2012 – June 2013.
Barnes Jewish West County Hospital. St Louis, MO. Instructor/ Clinical Fellow in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. July 2012- June 2013.
John Cochran VA Hospital. St Louis, MO. Faculty/ Instructor/ Clinical Faculty. July 2012- June 2013
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. Shreveport, LA. Internship and Residency in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. July 2007- June 2012.
The American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery
The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
Arnold P Gold Humanism in Medicine National Honor Society
The American Medical Association
The Michigan Otolaryngological Society
The Michigan State Medical Society
The Oakland County Medical Society
- LSU-HSC Resident Research Symposium 2011 – Basic Science 1st Prize.
- AAO-HNS Leadership grant – 2010, 2011.
- Class rank in the top quartile for Medical School Years I and II (n/a for III/IV).
- Inaugural member of the Arnold P. Gold Humanism in Medicine National Honor Society. Wayne State University Chapter. Inducted 2006.
- Inaugural member of “HuMed: Humanistic Medicine Group” at Wayne State University School of Medicine. Assisted with development and implementation in 2005.
- Dean’s List, Michigan State University. (All semesters)
- Michigan State University: Graduated with High Honors – GPA 3.8
- Alpha Epsilon Delta National Pre-Professional Honor Society at Michigan State University, inducted in 2001.
- National Honor Society member
- Linkov G, Council LM, Compton A, Branham G. Recognition and Treatment of Skin Lesions. Cummings Otolaryngology, 7th ed. Chapter 17.
- Compton A, Council LM, Branham G. Recognition and Treatment of Skin Lesions. Cummings Otolaryngology, 6th ed. Chapter 20, 286-297. e2
- Lian T, Compton A, Bowen R. Establishment of a cutaneous flap animal model to study platelet and leukocyte dynamics following ischemia reperfusion injury. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery. 2012 Sep 24:1-4.
- Little S, Compton A, Stucker, FJ. Nuances for the Management of Rhinophyma. Nuances of the Nasal Tip. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2012; 28(2):231-7.
- Compton A, Moore-Medlin T, Ferdinandez, L, Clark C, Caldito G, Wang I, Thomas J, Abreo F, Nathan C. Human Papillomavirus in Metastatic Lymph Nodes from Unknown Primary Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. 2011; 145(1):51-7.
- Compton A, Hoa M, Al-Abadi M, Krous J. Pathology Quiz Case – Atypical Thyroid Nodules. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007; 133(7):728-9.
- Compton, A. Japanese Health Care: Different Twist, Similar Problems. Detroit Medical News. Wayne County Medical Society of Southeast Michigan. Volume XCIV, Number 26. September 20, 2004
- Compton A, Forman S. Rhinoplasty: Both Art and Science. June 3, 2019.
- Compton A, Forman S. Clarifix, Fixing your Chronic Runny Nose; An in-office solution to a difficult problem. May 13, 2019.
- Compton A, Forman S. Vivaer. March 4, 2019.
- Compton A, Forman S. Chin implant. July 1, 2019.
- Compton A, Forman S. In-Office Balloon Dilation- A Minimally Invasive Solution to Your Sinus Problems. April 1, 2019 and August 5, 2019.
- Created, maintain and update www.AndrewComptonMD.com
- Youtube.com; Create new videos on DrBoogerPicker and AndrewComptonMD channels.
- He is active on Facebook, Realself and Instagram
- Nasal Obstruction after Septoplasty. Michigan Otolaryngologic Society Summer Meeting ‘18. Thompsonville, Michigan. 7/27/18.
- Nasal Obstruction and OSA review. Rochester Dental Meeting at Rochester Advanced Dentistry. 5/17/18.
- Infant Ear Deformities. William Beaumont Hospital Pediatric Grand Rounds. 4/18/17.
- Nasal Obstruction. McLaren Hospital Lansing, Patient Education Series. 3/15.
- Sinusitis and you. McLaren Hospital Lansing, Patient Education Series. 4/17/14.
- Establishment of a Cutaneous Flap Animal Model to Study Platelet and Leukocyte Dynamics following Ischemia Reperfusion Injury. AAFPRS Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. September 2011.
- Human Papillomavirus in Metastatic Lymph Nodes from Unknown Primary Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. American Academy of Otolaryngology Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. September 2010.
- Stapedectomy in the Hands of the Residents. LSUHSC-Shreveport Annual Resident Research Symposium. Shreveport, LA. June 2012.
- Early Phase Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury Demonstrated in a Murine Pedicled Fasciocutaneous Flap Using Intra-vital Microscopy. LSUHSC-Shreveport Annual Resident Research Symposium. Shreveport, LA. June 2011.
- Evaluation of the Chromavision Automated Cellular Imaging System (ACIS) for p16INK4A for HPV detection in Tonsillar SCCa. LSUHSC-Shreveport Annual Resident Research Symposium. Shreveport, LA. June 2010.
- HPV in Cervical Lymph Nodes from Unknown Primary Head and Neck SCCa. LSUHSC-Shreveport Annual Resident Research Symposium. Shreveport, LA. June 2009.
- “American Medical Association: So What’s in it for Me?” Andrew Compton, Liam Howley. Presentation to Year I medical students about the benefits of joining the AMA. Detroit, MI. August 2004.
- Ischemia Reperfusion Injury in a Fasciocutaneous Axial Flap in a Mouse Model viewed with Intra-vital Microscopy. Dr Timothy Lian.
- HPV related studies in Dr Nathan’s Head and Neck Cancer Laboratory.
- HPV in Metastatic Lymph Nodes from Unknown Primaries
- Evaluation of the Chromavision Automated Cellular Imaging System (ACIS) for p16INK4A for HPV detection in Tonsillar SCCa
- Correlation of HPV status between Primary Tumor and Neck Metastasis in Head and Neck SCCa.
- Obtained and maintained an IRB protocol for the above studies
- Effects of Pre-Natal Androgens on the Sexual Development and Behavior of Rats” Dr. Lynwood Clemens, MSU Programs in Neuroscience.
- Quality of Life after Gamma Knife Surgery for Acoustic Neuroma. Michael Hoa, Andrew Compton, Edwin Monsell. Detroit Medical Center – Department of Otolaryngology
- Quality of Life after Gamma Knife Surgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia. Andrew Compton, Michael Hoa, Edwin Monsell. Detroit Medical Center – Department of Otolaryngology
- Medical Records Committee
- Electronic Medical Records Implementation Committee
- Face to Face Program
- Fabric of Society co-curricular program: Completed 75 hours of volunteer, outreach and classroom experiences during the first year of medical school.
- HuMed: Humanistic Medicine co-curricular program: Completed 75 hours of volunteer, alternative medicine and classroom experiences during second year.
- Art and Medicine Course. Extra-curricular enrichment program that “Explored the richness of the human experience as revealed by serious illness by exploring great art, including literature, painting, poetry, theatre and personal narrative.” July 2004- June 2005.
- “Healthy Senior Project” pilot program. Met with assigned healthy senior citizen in the community to gain experience with healthy elderly. The goal is to offset the impression on medical students that all elderly are ill or demented. February 2005- May 2005.
- Volunteer with Matthai Physicals. Conducted free sports physicals for young children of Detroit. April 2004.
- Cass Ave Free Health Clinic. Provided health care for the uninsured and indigent population of Detroit. August 2003- December 2003.
- Cobo Hall Health Fair. Answered questions about Asthma and Allergies for attendees. April 2004.
- Participated in Make-A-Difference Day. Collected personal hygiene materials for Women’s shelters across Detroit. April 2004.
- Teach Peace: Conflict Resolution Program. Teaching at risk children in Detroit, constructive, non-violent methods for resolving interpersonal conflicts. April 2005.
- Shadowed Dr. Zhang, M.D. and certified Acupuncturist. March 2005.
- Massage Therapy Classes. National Institute of Technology, Dearborn. Learned techniques, medical indications and therapeutic benefits of massage therapy. May 2005.
- Code Blue Outreach Program. One hour sessions teaching and mentoring at risk children in intercity Detroit elementary schools. September 2003 – May 2004.
- Volunteer at Ingham County Medical Hospital, Lansing, MI. Assisted with peri-operative care of patients. September 1994 – December 1994.
- Floor president at Holmes Hall, MSU. 8/2000- 5/2001.
- Residence Hall Association floor representative 8/1999- 5/2000.
- Volunteer in the Holmes Hall Orientation Team for 2 years assisting freshman with move-in and adjustment to dorm life. June 2000 and June 2001.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology Program Representative for LSU- Shreveport.
- Vice President of the American Medical Association, Wayne State University Chapter. April 2004 – April 2005.
- AMA Wayne State Recruitment Drive Committee Chairman. 2004.
- Planning and Organization of AMA Medical Student Section Regional Conference Detroit. February 2005.
- Delegate to the Michigan State Medical Society House of Delegates. April 2004 and April 2005.
- Alternate Delegate to the American Medical Association: Medical Student Section: National House of Delegates. June 2004 and December 2004.
- Member of the American Medical Association August 2003– 2008.
- Member of the American Medical Student Association August 2003– 2008.
- Radio-Frequency Assisted Liposuction Course. Bentonville, AR. November 7-8, 2020.
- Level UP Aesthetic Tour– Indianapolis Conference. Indianapolis, IN. September 25- 27, 2020.
- 2020 AAFPRS Annual Meeting. Virtual. September 10-12, 2020.
- Michigan Otolaryngological Society Meeting ’18. Thompsonville, MI. July 27-29, 2018.
- Detroit Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Meeting. Detroit, MI. 4/10/18.
- Facial Rejuvenation: Master the Techniques. Chicago, IL. April 12-15, 2018.
- Advances in Rhinoplasty Techniques, Technology and Outcomes. American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Chicago, IL. May 4-7, 2017.
- Facial Rejuvenation: Master the Techniques. Beverly Hills, CA. March 16-19, 2016.
- Third Annual Atlantic Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery Update. San Juan, Puerto Rico. Feb. 13-15, 2016.
- Advances in Rhinoplasty. American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Chicago, IL. May 14-17, 2015.
- Cosmetic Surgery Annual Conference 2013. The Multi-Specialty Foundation. Las Vegas, NV. June 26-30, 2013.
- Advances in Rhinoplasty. American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Chicago, IL. May 5-8, 2013.
- Master Techniques in Peri-Orbital Aesthetic Surgery. St Louis University. St Louis, MO. February 8-10, 2013.
- Cosmetic Blepharoplasty and Fundamentals of Facelift. St Louis University. St Louis, MO. July 20-22, 2012.
- Advances in Craniomaxillofacial Surgery: Mastery of Treatment Planning and Fixation Techniques. Chicago, IL. August 17-18, 2012.
- AAO-HNSF Annual Conference 2011. San Fransisco, CA. September 2011.
- AAFPRS Annual Conference 2011. San Fransisco, CA. September 2011.
- Owens Temporal Bone Dissection Course: Dallas Foundation of Otology. August 2010.
- AAO-HNSF Annual Conference 2010. Boston, MA. September 2010.
- AAFPRS Annual Conference 2010. Boston, MA. September 2010.
- AO Principles of Operative Treatment of Cranio-maxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction. Washington DC. September 2009.
- AMA Leadership Conference: Being Politically Active in the Big Three. Troy, MI. October 2003.
- Ethnic Celebration Week. Wayne State University. October 2003, 2004.
- Health FOCUS Conference. Wayne State University. October 2003, 2004.
- HIV/ AIDS Seminar. December 2003.
- Issues in the Deaf Community Seminar. March 2004.
- AMA, Michigan State Medical Society, House of Delegates. Dearborn, MI. April 2004.
- AMA, Medical Student Section, National Conference in Chicago, IL. June 2004.
- AMA, Medical Student Section, National Conference in Atlanta, GA. December 2004.
- AMA, Medical Student Section, Regional Conference in Detroit, MI. February 2005.
- AMSA, Humanistic Medicine Conference on Complimentary and Alternative Medicine. Detroit, MI. February 2005.
- AMA, Michigan State Medical Society, House of Delegates. Dearborn, MI. April 2005
- Detroit Trauma Symposium. Detroit, MI. November 2005.
- Italy: Two weeks traveling with my wife through Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Chianti, Rome, Pompeii and Sorrento.
- Japan: Spent five weeks working on transplant surgery and pediatric oncology services in a hospital in Tsu-City. I spent my spare time traveling to multiple cities including Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagoya, and experiencing the local cultures. I concluded my travels by climbing Mt. Fuji, reaching the summit by dawn. June and July 2004.
- Europe: Spent two weeks backpacking through Germany, France and Switzerland. May 2001.
- I enjoy golfing with friends and family including my son.
- I enjoy watching and attending MSU Spartan sports games.
- Award winning artist working in both monochromatic and polychromatic pen and ink drawings, pointillism, scratchboard, acrylic paints, photography and pencil. Still active artist in my free time, mostly acrylic painting currently.